Absorbing, mysterious; of infinite richness, this life - Virginia Woolf


Monday, June 7, 2010

Catch Up

I have shamefully neglected this the last week or two, but only because I have been far too busy for my own good, both in terms of work and in terms of enjoying myself.

This weekend I travelled to remote north west Uganda, to the West Nile district, visiting a friend who is volunteering up there. It was quite the experience - she's one of only two muzungus in town, and I found the countryside and people up there markedly different to the places I've been so far. It all made a strong impression so I will write more in a few days when I've had some time to collect my thoughts.

In other news, work has been very busy as we're currently preparing for an official country visit by the Special Rapporteur next week. Margaret undertakes two official missions per year during which she generally carries out fact-finding, meets government, defenders and civil society, and carries out an overall review of the situation for human rights defenders in the country. Guess where she's heading to?

Armenia.

And guess who's wonderful employers have provided funding to accompany her?

Yes, I have been an extremely lucky girl this year..... !

So we leave on Friday for 10 days, and hence the pressure is on at the moment.

In lieu of a more caring entry for you, my dedicated and beloved readers (whomsoever you may be) I'm posting a few photos I took last week of the kids messing around at the house. I previously wrote about my Ugandan digs here but never provided any photos of my housemates. Below you can see nine-year old Sharon, five-year old Jojo and four-year old Chris messing around on a Thursday afternoon.








1 comment: