Absorbing, mysterious; of infinite richness, this life - Virginia Woolf


Friday, May 6, 2011

Calling Monaco

I stand corrected on what I said previously that Kosovo has it's own international telephone country code: it doesn't. So one of the fun problems that arises from unresolved statehood issues turns out to be what country code you can use.

I couldn't understand why people told me Kosovo's dialing code was +381 but my local mobile number carried the prefix +377. Turns out that +377 is the country code for Monaco. And another local mobile phone company carries the prefix +386, which is code for Slovenia. Landlines use the prefix +381, which is for Serbia.

Can anyone explain this to me? Do Monaco and Slovenia have numbers to spare which they sell off to Kosovo? Two small countries helping out one another? Or have mobile phone providers from Monaco and Slovenia expanded into the Kosovan market? I find this pretty random and fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment